Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Why I Love Blogs

Because of things like this, which brought a burst of joy to a largely sorrowful day.

Agree or not, that hardly matters. But take the historical view for a moment. Here's a person who is clearly both wise and smart, plus funny and eloquent and generous and broad-minded and demanding. And until a few years ago, he would have been dispensing these pearls where? Presumably in one-on-one conversations and at dinner parties and salons that I would never have been invited to.

Now everything's changed, and for my benefit (the only relevant metric, in the end). It's as though — to conjure up an image not remotely at random — there are all these digital Boswells running around, making sure no one's sparkling table talk gets lost. And that's why I love blogs.

That, and La Cieca dubbing the forthcoming product of the Schrott-Netrebko double love cadenza Li'l Schrebbs.

3 Comments:

At 2/05/2008 11:42 AM, Blogger Lisa Hirsch said...

Your reportage has been really good, and what a nightmare to be reporting the Liderman story at all; it is so very sad.

 
At 2/06/2008 7:37 PM, Blogger Patrick J. Vaz said...

Joshua,
This is your best, most accurate review ever! I have to salute your discernment! And so does my Mom!
Actually, there were no salons or dinner parties -- until a couple of years ago I was dispensing these pearls mostly to the voices in my head, or to only one or two patient friends, and even they would sometimes edge away from me when I got on a roll . . . and that's why I love blogs -- somewhere out there, someone is always willing to listen.
I do also have to say that, though I was only just becoming aware of Liderman as a composer, I was shocked by his death, and upset for a variety of reasons, and I felt sort of abashed and silly for posting a long entry about how an opera season left me depressed -- so I'm glad to hear it brought someone some joy.
I do respectfully disagree that it hardly matters if one agrees with me -- I not only expect people to agree, I expect them to repent and change their ways. I have no doubt Mr Gockley is trying to reach me even now with the news that he's cancelling Boheme and substituting the Excursions of Mr Broucek. Yep. Any minute now I should be hearing. Any minute. . . .

 
At 2/07/2008 2:39 PM, Blogger Lisa Hirsch said...

I'm with Joshua all the way on your posting - and there was no reason to think it in any way out of place or trivial. The world has tragedy, and also has comedy.

I've been down all week, and part of it certainly has to do with Liderman's death. I'm sorry he was in such deep pain, and I'm so sad for his family and friends and colleagues.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home